Saturday, January 19, 2019

The Party Warily Prepares for the Toad

With Lothar, Engelhart and Mikael responding, the present position is now this.  I would understand at this point that half the party would probably not wish to enter into a combat with the toad according to an ad hoc post deadline, but I did want to force myself to stay focused.

For the moment, the toad shows no interest in advancing ~ perhaps because Rob and Lothar did not fall back.

The salve is fine, Lothar.  Roll a d4 and add that number to your present hit points.

Consider your withdraw spell cast, Engelhart.  I think there may be an issue I'm seeing in the spell description: where it reads, "The cleric may take any action which does not break the 5 ft. diameter bubble that's created ..." this is meant to indicate that the bubble surrounding the cleric is static and does not move with the cleric.  The spell should state that more clearly; note it does not say anywhere that the spell will move with the cleric, as it would indicate what the limit would be on the cleric's movement if that were the case.  I have not altered the spell at the moment, and won't until I hear from you.

Sorry if I'm second-guessing you here.  Earlier comments you made seemed to suggest you had planned to use sanctuary to move through the gate.

It is the player's move; those that do move can state whether or not they're prepared to go forward if we don't hear from the whole party.

14 comments:

Lothar Svensson said...

I roll a 4 for the salve.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

No, that is fine, Alexis. I read the intent perfectly.

As I have no way to know how much time we have until the Toad tires of the staring contest I decided to shift Engelhart to 'nordic time'.

Before I discharge the spell to enter withdrawal, I'll inform that I intend to post myself by the gate to wait out the toad, adapting the original plan.

/Entering Withdrawal...

- Withdrawn Turn 1: Consume Healing Salve for 4 hit-points.

- Withdrawn Turn 2: Consume Healing Salve for 1 hit-points.

- Withdrawn Turn 3: Consume Healing Salve for 1 hit-points.

- Withdrawn Turn 4: Consume Healing Salve for 4 hit-points.

- Withdrawn Turn 5: Lay Healing Salve on the snow, close to Lothar's side, plain for him to see. Stow the sling.

- Withdrawn Turn 6: Begin casting Sanctuary.

- Withdrawn Turn 7: Discharge Sanctuary; Dismiss Withdraw's effect.

/Withdrawal Ends...


[Well, that didn't go as well as I had expected but the super-average 10 hp I got out of it ought to be enough to shore me up. I'm now at 24 hp, Lothar, at 21, can have the remaining salve with my blessing.]


Next round I'll begin my ascent on the map, hopeful that you'll be able to draw the outsized fly-eater out.

Unknown said...

Mikael stops, using his time to look around and keep an eye out. If people start retreating, he will keep moving back, but he doesn't want to get more than 5 hexes in front. If we make it back to the lake, he will wait for the whole party so we can reorganize ourselves.

I hope that is clear

Rob Munro said...

I move back 2 hexes to 510

Embla Strand said...

I retreat to 910.

Lothar Svensson said...

I pick up Englehart's salve and drop back to hex 0810.

Alexis Smolensk said...

That's everyone. As you retreat, [roll] the toad stays in place. It makes no forward movement towards the gate to compensate for the party's movement. Feel free to act another round forward. Engelhart's spell is, of course, in place.

Embla Strand said...

I retreat to 908

Engelhart Askjellson said...

Advance to 0706.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

Oh, and I also get out my hammer.

Lothar Svensson said...

I drink the other salve and drop back one more hex into 0811. d4 results in 1 HP regained.

Unknown said...

I continue my retreat

Rob Munro said...

I continue moving back, to 0512.

(I've got to admit that I'm not sure what your plan is Engelhart; are you planning on staying alone with the toad?)

Engelhart Askjellson said...

(Rob: not at all. I'm still planning for the eventuality of the toad either being a jumper or a spellcaster, based on the other specimen's behaviour from last combat.

If the toad can jump, we're doomed to engage, if it is a caster likewise. I'm one for doing the inevitable on our own terms: if it manages to jump into the party's midst and stun you all by croaking then we're doomed.

In any event, I've got nine more rounds of spell protection to find out)