Friday, May 19, 2017

Atop the Rocks

As you discuss with Embla what her mission will be, without coming to a conclusion, you're standing near the ambush site you've chosen.  The party is back from the ledge outcropping, with is about SEVEN feet above the path below, so not very high.  Still, low enough to lay upon and be hidden.

The three hexes that are best for seeing the trail as it approaches from the top of the map (the direction of the fires), are 0709, 0707 and 0807, the latter two offering the best line of sight.  0808 can see the trail up to the log that is laying across it.

The trees are thick, but not so thick they can't be moved into.  I've depicted the party standing above the branches for ease of viewing.  I could hide you all under the branches, but that's not exactly desireable.

Please assume that any hex that is more than 1/3d hidden by trees will require 2 AP to enter.

Right now, Willa and Petar are watching the trail.  They will tell you right now that they've seen a creature coming, about ten feet beyond 0401, at the top of the map, just before the path turns into view (for the game's purposes, presume that any shot off the map is impractical].  You're not surprised.  Presume that you have initiative.  What do you want to do?

[please let me know

22 comments:

Embla Strand said...

Shall I get it's attention?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sorry, Embla? You want to wave to something and warn them of the ambush that the party was intending to set up?

Embla Strand said...

No! Definitely not! I was instead proposing that I walk up the path from the other direction toward it. Upon seeing me if would either give chase and fall headlong into our ambush, or go get help, which would be pretty terrible, come to think of it.

Pandred said...

Last post you said it was presumed I was atop the rocks, and I'd declared I was getting the crossbow ready.

Given that the current scenario is one where we -haven't- gotten up, I only want to know if my weapon can be called loaded, or if I need to spend the time loading it.

If I need to load it, then I will pass it to Oddsdrakken for 1AP, Tell him to load it for another AP, then duck down into 0907 for my last.

If I do not need to load it, I advance with crossbow in hand to 0807 for 2AP, lying in ambush.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

How practical in terms of stealth would it be to wade into the forest?

I've a mind to attempt to encircle the creature by immediately setting out north and try to catch it after the first shots are fired.

If this is not practical, I recommend that we let it pass and then shoot it from the back. That way, even if it wants to run for help, we'll be standing right between it and its point of origin.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I understand that, Pandred, and I am certainly giving you the opportunity to get into that position exactly (oops, I don't have a figure for Oddsdraken, do I?). I'm just trying to keep the game moving forward; there was two hours of our day waiting for Embla, so I jumped ahead to giving the party a chance to set up the ambush without the bother of Embla having to go out and come back in again, by which time the day would probably be all gone.

You'll see that after Pandred writing, "Embla is frontlining," I got absolutely nothing from Embla on what that meant, exactly. The last I actually heard from Embla was that she would "happily do so" regarding something I said, not the party.

So now I'm ruling that we've picked up from the "discussing" the plan. While Pandred, you did describe your position and such, the actual person who was supposed to move forward did not at all. Imagine your character getting up after getting ready and asking Embla, what's going on? Why aren't you moving?

Engelhart Askjellson said...

[Great job on the map, by the way, Alexis].

Alexis Smolensk said...

[thank you! I am loving the map]

The forest will let you get 3 hexes closer to an enemy on the average, Engelhart, but that's -3 from a 3d6 roll; the other adjustments are on the wiki.

Lothar Svensson said...

I move to hex 0907. How far down the trail can I see?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Just past 0401; but you only have line of sight to a target as far as 0401. I should have fixed the image so that was more clear, but what's done is done.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Basically, I'm going to wait for people to move and set themselves up. If you plan to be hidden, please say so. There are definitely at least three things coming towards you, judging from the sound.

Pandred said...

Alright, just wanted to be one hundred percent clear on what I or others have and haven't done, no worries.

As stated, I advance to 0907, giving the crossbow to Oddsdrakken and the order to load it.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Pandred, as you try to enter 0907, you find Lothar there (as stated three comments prior). Right now you're both in the hex, which has room for the two of you, but you can't both hide in the hex and you can't attack out of it together.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I'll leave my hammer and shield by the rock formation and get out my maul (back to 4 AP). I shall remain hidden, laying low in hex 1007 until the shots are fired.

Alexis, I'm presuming this rocky outcropping can be clambered over, that I may jump onto the path on the other side without the need for a detour, though you can confirm this.

Embla Strand said...

Could I stand in 909 and remain concealed?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Engelhart, think of the outcropping as a shelf; the ground behind it is level with the top of the shelf. The hexes to the left of the shelf are 7 feet lower.

This means the shelf will only conceal the party if they lay down flat upon it, until the last moment when the rise and fire. This will work, giving the party initiative; and more time if the enemy is surprised.

Embla, yes, so long as you hunker low. I have Petar in that hex right now; so where would you like Petar to be?

Engelhart Askjellson said...

Very well, I lie in wait while awaiting our quarry.

Stealthing was not an option with this clanking armour of mine, the -3 bonus from the foliage only made me break even, not something I care to risk.

I again urge you: let them through and shoot from the back.

Embla Strand said...

I concur, Engelhart.

No, 909 is better for Petar. How about 807 for me?

Alexis Smolensk said...

So long as you lay flat, Embla.

If I could just sort out Pandred, we'd be good to go. I'll set up Bergthora, Fjall and Valda in the trees behind the party, down on one knee, bent down.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Oh, before I forget. Anyone can leap off the ledge, if they want, and take no damage so long as they make a dexterity check.

Alexis Smolensk said...

And . . . no word from Pandred.

Okay, we'll Pandred in 0808, laying flat, with a little six inch cleft of rock on his left. Lothar is peeping over a similar lip on Pandred's right. I'll put Oddsdrakken behind Pandred, in 0908, under the tree. That will be the position as the frog men come into sight (posting a new post now).

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up. I will be drawing a comic, now, while listening/watching Doctor Zhivago, of which I have obtained a copy. I won't be checking the blog again for some hours.