Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Round 6 - In the Thick of Rats


The map above only shows lines for rats that have moved four or less and are able to attack this round.  Embla, Valda and Pandred will each be attacked once; Lothar, twice.

A 9 misses Embla.

A 12 and a 4 miss Lothar.

A 6 misses Valda.

A 17 misses Pandred.

All the rats will be in a position to fill the gaps next round.  Because rats are small, there is a chance that they can get through the line and attack in back of it; characters in the front line will have to make a dexterity check to stop them from overrunning the front line.

At the same time, you will note that Rob and Mikael have appeared on the map.  These are two lackluster fellows who have taken work on the gangs in the dungeon, out of sheer boredom.  When they heard that there was a party exploring a cave deeper in the frogling lair, they decided to follow along and see what's what.  They've followed the direction of Fjall above, met Oddsdrakken running through the Pit Room away from the fight and now they've walked in just as the fight is happening.

A last, interesting point.  The party hears a deep, slushing sound, as though a very large bladder has been filled with water and then burst.  Lothar places the sound somewhere ahead of him, and off to the left, where the cavern floor is broken up and dark, from inches-high rock ridges along the floor.

The party is now free to act.

Following the party's action, the map now looks like this:



I'm starting a new experience table; the bonus XP from the first part of the fight would not be enjoyed by the newcomers, so this is a reset.  At the end of the fight, you'll add the tables together.


23 comments:

Alexis Smolensk said...

I'll keep working on Rob's hair. I'm trying for strawberry blonde, but it's not red enough for a scotsman. still looks too pink.

Embla Strand said...

I swing at the rat in 1012. If I kill it, I'll move into that hex.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I heave my maul from its resting position, transit through Pandred's hex and overbear into 1009, hoping to staunch the rat flood.

(these actually don't seem as tough as I'd feared).

Unknown said...

Can I assume I took my backpack off when I heard sounds of battle?

Rob Munro said...

Sorry I will begin with a few questions :

* I am represented with a club in hand and no shields. Should I presume that this is how I currently am?


* Same question as Mikael : can it be assumed I took my backpack off as I heard the sound of battle?

I am going to move to hex 1013 to help keep the defensive line.

If my club is not actually in hand, I'll use the "Drawing a Weapon while Moving" action to draw it while I move.

If my club is already in my hand, and if it is possible to use the similar "draw weapon while moving" to unsling my shield (less than 5 lb.), then I'll do this.


In any case, moving 3 hex should consume 3AP.

If my backpack is off (see question above), I still have 2 AP left that I use to strike the rat in 1012 with my club (rolled 1d20 : 13).

Alexis Smolensk said...

I get a modified 18 from Embla, and 7 damage. The rat is dead, body flipped into 0912. Embla moves forward.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Still need a d20 roll to overbear, Engelhart.

No, Mikael. You appear in the game exactly as is. So you can shuffle off your backpack now, if you like. See the action points page for details.

Please, NEVER count the picture as accurate to your character's circumstance. I can't redraw eight versions of people to depict how they happen to be at a given moment. I'm just giving a quick representation. Rob, consider your shield and chosen weapon in hand.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Wandrille, when you get the chance, please create a character name to post under that identifies you as Rob Munro. No hurry, but take it under advisement.

Rob Munro said...

ok thank you.
Then I merely move to 1013 (and then I have no AP left.)

Unknown said...

I take my backpack off. It will take awhile (I think I only have 1 AP with it), do 5 rounds.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Heh. About the backpack retcon thing ... I'll probably accept that going forward, in similar situations; but both Mikael and Rob should consider this:

For Rob, he's never been in a fight that didn't involve a group of friends, a commander and a reasonably organized procedure. He's never fought a giant rat before. He's never fought in the subterranean before. "The sounds of combat" are not necessarily something he'd recognize underground.

Mikael has never fought ANYTHING. He's practiced with a dart, but that's it.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Costs 5 action points, Mikael. Not rounds. So that's what you do this round.

Unknown said...

My actual thought process is if I was here working, I would have left my backpack somewhere relatively safe.

Unknown said...

Ah, okay. Way better. I sssumed if I had 1 AP, a 5 AP action took 5 rounds

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I roll a 17 to overbear, Alexis.

(d4 roll: 3)

Lothar Svensson said...

Lothar attacks one of the rats in 0910, Valda the other rat.

Lothar's Attack: 10+1=11, hits AC 7
Damage: 6

Valda's Attack: 15
Damage: 3

Alexis Smolensk said...

You successfully drive the rat off; I'll need a d4 -3 for damage from overbearing. You've pushed the rat back into 0908, with its buddy.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Lothar kills his rat. Valda stuns hers.

Pandred will hold back, ready for a rat breaking though.

That should be everyone. I will update the post above, first.

To save time, I'm just going to go ahead and roll against your dexterities when a rat wants to break through. If I ask for rolls, we could hold up the round half an hour.

Lothar Svensson said...

That works for me.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

(I already did roll the d4-3 in the previous reply, Alexis, it came up a 0).

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yep, I see it now. Sorry, rushing, experiencing a little tunnel vision. I'll try to slow down.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The post above is updated. Now working on the next post.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next round is up.