As none of the bugs are stunned at this point, all five of the bugs immediately near the party are able to attack.
Now, in the comments of the last post, I told Engelhart that any hex with two people could not be attacked out of. This is actually not true of small, somewhat social animals, such as rats, piranha and quite a few insects ~ including these beetles. However, I have arranged it this time so that no hex has two beetles attacking out of it. I won't hold myself to this in the future. The size of the beetles limits their "swarming" to two per hex. Smaller creatures, less than 18 inches in diameter, can swarm three to a hex. The beetles are about two feet long.
Here is the map as the beetles all move on the party:
From highest numbered hex to lowest numbered:
- The beetle in 1210 attacks Lothar, hitting with an 18 and causing 3 damage. This does not stun Lothar.
- The beetle in 1208, having moved from 1107, attacks Lothar from behind, with +2 to hit. It rolls a 7 and misses.
- The beetle in 1108, having moved from 1008, attacks Engelhart, missing with a 6.
- The beetle in 1008, having moved from 1207, attacks Rowan, missing with a 2.
- The beetle in 1007, attacking Gudbrand from below, getting a penalty of -1 for attacking upwards, misses with a 6.
That is the beetles' attack. The rest come rushing from across the room, but none have enough move to attack. One beetle, in 0807, does reach Gudbrand and engages him in melee (but Gudbrand was already in a melee hex).