Saturday, December 17, 2016

This Looks Bad ~ Round 5

Here is how the map looks at the end of the player's last turn:


With the bug on the map stunned, the party clusters together.  But while the bug in 1210 can neither move nor attack . . .


. . . the beetles that surrounded the hole at 1103 come skittering forward, engaging Lothar, Engelhart and Rowan.  None of these have enough move to attack this round, but they are bolstered by the appearance of five more beetles, coming from 0803 and 1002.

It is the party's turn.  Everyone can move.  Best of luck!

33 comments:

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

I turn and attack the beetle in 1210 with my bo stick. Nat 1 to-hit, 2 damage, and 7 on the weapon break roll.

Sheizen. This beetle will be the death of me.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Possibly . . . your axe, when it falls, skitters under the feet of the beetle.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

Of course it does. Can I use my bola as a melee weapon? If so, I draw it.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Oh, and a hand axe breaks one in six, not one in 8. Please roll a d6.

Alexis Smolensk said...

A bola does not work as a hand-to-hand weapon.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

I don't have a handaxe - I'm using my bo stick, which I believe uses a d8.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Urg. I drew you with a hand-axe, you indicated that was the weapon you'd be using ~ or perhaps you said it was the one you planned to have. Ah well. Apologies. You rolled correct for a bo stick. It isn't broken.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

Yes - I asked for the handaxe, as it will be my primary weapon, when I can afford it. Sorry about the confusion.

Rowan said...

I spend 2 ap to move to 0908, since I'm in a melee hex. The remaining 2 ap will be used to bludgeon the leftmost beetle in 1008.

To-Hit: 8
Damage: 3


Damn.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I retrieve my hammer from Lothar's feet and smash into the closest beetle at 1008.

Attack roll: 7 +3/4 from flanking, my ability and the overcrowded defending hex. I'm not sure of this last bonus but it doesn't matter, it's a miss either way.

I bookend my turn by turning to face the beetle at 1107.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

[OOC: This party is in dire need of conversion to lucky protestantism.]

Alexis Smolensk said...

Engelhart, it isn't just a simple matter of stepping into Lothar's hex and picking up your axe. There is a rule that says any hex with two people in it cannot be attacked out of. Lothar will have to give ground first, else you won't have enough AP to attack. I presume he will . . .

But until he does, your attack roll is null and void. In this case, I don't think you'll mind much.

Don't forget that you stated that you were casting bless. This means that even if the others can't take advantage, because they're not believers, that it doesn't still affect you. It is still within the hour of attacking.

Point in fact, to add, 1208 is NOT a flanking attack against either 1107 or 1207. I see I haven't put up any content for that on the wiki ~ but I'm using the same rules that go back to the old DM's Guide. I'll put up a flank and rear-attack diagram quickly, as soon as I can.

Lothar Svensson said...

I kick Engelhart's axe towards him, then turn and attack the beetle in hex 1207.

Attack: 19(woo!)-2(sick) = 17

Damage: 1(crud)-2+1=0

I could use some lucky Protestantism.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Since Lothar's move is faster (and I am guessing that Lothar didn't read my comment, as we both posted almost simultaneously), Engelhart, I rule that you can pick up your HAMMER in your hex . . . and yes, I have changed the look of it, so it does look less like an axe in the next image.

(OOC: for some reason, war hammers are very hard to get right)

Want to attack, Engelhart?

Alexis Smolensk said...

[Note: if you're doing something weird, like moving into someone else's hex, or intending to overbear or perform some unusual attack other than just swinging at the enemy, it might be a good idea to hold off on your attack die until I give you the go ahead. I will generally discount attack rolls that are made when there is some condition suspending them]

Alexis Smolensk said...

There, characters can read rules on flanking and rear attacks here:

http://tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/Rear+%26+Flank+Attacks

Engelhart Askjellson said...

My bad on the flanking assumption, Alexis, thank you for the clarification.

I did not get to cast Bless, however, since Aleksandra initiated combat before that. It remains and will remain uncast.

Also, I already did attack. I missed, as per my previous post.

Alexis Smolensk said...

As per my standing rule, rolls that apply to a situation that does not take place, or rolls that are made prior to clarification of a situation, DO NOT COUNT.

The roll you made was from hex 1208. You're not in 1208; Lothar kicked your hammer into 1108, where you are. So the reality that you rolled you die in doesn't exist. Therefore, you must roll again.

This is why I say, MAKE SURE OF YOUR POSITION before rolling to hit, particularly when people are moving all around you. Once again, don't try to save time! Instead, state your movement first, make sure you can hit from where you are, get confirmation, and THEN roll to hit.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Lothar, you have 2 AP left.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Aleksandra has 3 AP left.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

I spend 2 AP to retreat to 1010, continuing to face towards the beetle in 1210.

Lothar Svensson said...

I stand my ground.

Lothar Svensson said...

Actually, I'd prefer to move to 1209, I missed that Aleksandra had dropped her weapon.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

Alright, I'll abide by your standing rule.

Attack roll: 1

Breakage roll: 4


I shout: "Useless tool of God!"

Lothar Svensson said...

Maxwell/Gudbrand, I really hope you can find some time to come help us out!

Alexis Smolensk said...

Lothar, can you tell me which direction you're facing in 1209?

Engelhart - 1 AP to pick up your hammer, 2 AP to fumble it and have it bounce into 1009, where it ends up. You have 2 AP left. Would you like to at least stand over your hammer?

Alexis Smolensk said...

[OOC: I'm concerned about Maxwell. No word from him, not at all; I don't know what's happening with him. At some point, probably soon, I'm going to have to make a decision on the situation ~ I'd like it if he would step forward and make it clear what his intentions for the campaign are]

Lothar Svensson said...

Towards 1210. Decisions, man...

Engelhart Askjellson said...

Of course, Alexis. I do it facing towards 1108.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

I believe Maxwell is in the midst of crunch mode for his dissertation, which is why he's not present right now.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[OOC: I had decided to give him until Sunday, as he said he should be back to normal by then].

It seems everyone is sorted. I'm going to work on some things and put up the next round by tomorrow morning ~ this should give time for Gudbrand to perhaps jump in. I may get the next round up tonight, but certainly tomorrow when I wake up. Remember, I have tomorrow off.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I have heard from Maxwell. He is well and he intends to stay in the game. He is moving across the room and climbing up onto the tomb in 0907.

Lothar Svensson said...

Woo!